This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Amazing Alfredo Recipe

alfredo 005

Sorry I missed adding any recipes yesterday. It's not that I didn't bake or cook but life took over.

Today I will share a wonderful recipe for Alfredo. Finding a perfect Alfredo Recipe is not the easiest thing. I rarely order it in a restaurant because I'm amazed at how badly they can screw up something that is actually quite easy to make. Forget any type of chain restaurant for a decent alfredo. I had the best alfredo sauces of my life in Italy a few years ago. Oh...Italy...heaven on the tastebuds I tell you. We only had one unsatisfactory Italian meal. One trattoria was so good in Florence we ended up going back over and over again. (I have yet to pry the recipe for the pesto from the owner's hands..still trying though)

Seeing as I come from an Italian background, it's rather shocking that I didn't experience more variety in our Italian dishes. I'm willing to give my mom a pass on this though because she is not Italian.

This recipe is what I use for my base of alfredo. I will add cubed fried pancetta to it for some spiciness, or cubed ham, sometimes I'll add prosciutto to it. Whatever strikes my fancy. I think our favorite is with Pancetta though. (Italian bacon) Even if you don't add any extras to it and simply love plain alfredo, this is a fantastic recipe and simple to make.

Be sure to use real ingredients. Do not substitute half and half for cream, or margarine. If you are going to enjoy an artery clogging indulgence do it with gusto!!

Ingredients:
1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
2 cups Parmesan Cheese, grated (I use more actually, about 2.5)
1 stick butter, unsalted (1/2 cup)
2 tbsps chopped garlic (I use preminced garlic from a jar, otherwise I would be endlessly chopping garlic)
Salt and fresh ground black peppercorns to taste.

Fresh chopped parsley for garnish

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and slowly pour the cream into the pan. Stirring constantly, bring the heat up just a little and continue to stir until it reaches a slow boil. Let it reduce a little bit (about two minutes or so), slowly add the parmesan cheese until melted and combined. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes until it gets a little thicker. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour over your favorite pasta.

If adding pancetta or prosciutto: Heat skillet on the stove with approx. 1 tbsp olive oil. Add cubed pancetta and saute until cooked and a little crispy. Add to the prepared sauce.See Picture


If adding diced ham. Just toss it in once the sauce is prepared until heated.

I love this sauce plain over seafood medallions, or cheese ravioli. It's always delish over penne, linguine, etc with the added pancetta or ham. I've been known to toss in some streamed brocolli and peas into the pasta as well on occasion.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...