This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Danish Aebleskiver - Pancake Balls with fillings














My mother in law is Danish.   She makes all kinds of traditional Danish dishes, desserts and meals.  I've learned how to make Danish soup but that's about it.  I'm going to get her to teach me how to make a couple of desserts while she is visiting.

She made something called Aebelskiver years ago in a little pan.  Basically they are round ball shaped pancakes and you need a special pan for them.  I've seen some cheapy ones on infomercials but have been told to stay away from them from the expert.  

My husband found me an awesome pan for Christmas and bought it for me along with a cookbook.  I tried to make some the other day and I did quite well for my first kick at the can I think.  I made another batch tonight as well.  I filled these ones with nutella and then some with apples/cinnamon.  These are made as a snack in Denmark...a very yummy snack I might add.

I used a basic recipe tonight.

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs seperated
1 cup milk (I used skim)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, milk, melted butter and vanilla.  Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture and using a wooden spoon mix until well blended (it may be a little lumpy)

Using an electric mixer in a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form.  Using a rubber spatula fold half the egg whites into the flour mixture to lighten it.  Add the other half and fold it in until no white streaks remain.  The egg whites give them their light airy appearance and taste.  Use the batter immediately.

Heat the pan over medium low heat.  Brush butter into each cup and fill with about a tablespoon of batter.  Working quickly drop the filling into the center and cover with another dab of the batter.  Using wooden skewers flip the batter over while still pretty liquidy to cook the other side.  Keep flipping until fully cooked.  It only takes but a minute or two.

Fill each cup
and add filling quickly

After more batter has been added

After a quick flip with the wooden skewers

Sprinkle with icing sugar or dip in maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...