This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Caramel Pecan Aebleskiver (Danish Pancakes) with Homemade Caramel Sauce


















I've been having lots of fun with my new Aebleskiver Pan that my husband bought me for Christmas.  I'm getting more adept at the flipping concept and making them nice and round.

The kids wanted some the other night so I thought...why not.  Let's make some.

To change it up a bit I decided to make some homemade caramel to go with them instead of syrup, and throw some chopped pecans into the mix for some extra texture.

I used the basic vanilla batter recipe found Here in the original post  and made them the same way.  I added 1/2 cup of chopped pecans into the batter and made them as described in the previous post.

The kids were fascinated watching me make homemade caramel though, and after we ate all the aebleskiver, we chopped up some granny smith apples, and dipped them in the caramel for an extra treat the next day.



Caramel Sauce.
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
pinch salt

In a heavy high sided saucepan, cook the sugar over medium-high heat until it begins to melt around the edges, (approx 5 minutes)
Continue to cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar is melted and turns medium amber in colour.  Approx 3 minutes.
Very carefully pour the cream down the sides of the pan into the sugar in a slow, steady stream.  It will bubble and spatter alot so please ensure your hands and arms are protected.  Stirring constantly until completely smooth.  stir in the salt.  Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and let cool completely. 

This can be refrigerated to make a thicker filling, or re warmed to to ice cream, pancakes, dip for apples etc.  This was a real treat for the kids and easy peasy to make.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, another question from the culinary challenged: what is "Heavy Cream"? Is that whipping cream? Half and Half? Table cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim...Go ahead and ask any question. :)

    Heavy cream is indeed whipping cream (35% MF)

    (I think in the US, there may be different names for the milk fat percentages) I have never seen Table Cream there (18%).

    If cream is mentioned in any of my recipes it is 35% whipping cream unless I note it differently. :)
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi i found your blog I love caramel sauce, my waist line does not but i do. I hope you can check out my Food and Entertaining Blog, its theblissfulentertainer.blogspot.com
    Cheers Laura.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...