This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Monday, March 28, 2011

Strawberry Buttermilk Scones. (It's still snowing but I need to feel like Spring and this helps)

I am tired of cold weather and snow.  Very tired.  After our recent trip to Florida I'm hankering for warmer weather and sandals.   Since I can't do much about that I made some Strawberry scones today.  Something about fresh fruit just makes it feel more springlike.  I can imagine the warm breezes even if I can't feel them.

The trick to successful scones is very cold butter and not overworking the dough.  A little easier said than done when adding fruit but it worked out well.  This is the first time I've added fresh fruit to my traditional buttermilk Scone recipe found HERE.

For this recipe follow the above recipe for the dough.  I will repost the ingredients here.  Note.  I always double this recipe for my family.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbl sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbl cold butter (3/4 of a stick) cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tbl sweet milk

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add butter pieces to dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or two dinner knives, cut butter into flour until the mixture takes on the size of small peas. Make a well in the center of mixture. Pour buttermilk into the well. Using a fork, pull the mixture into the buttermilk to form a soft dough. Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead gently. Cut into shapes using biscuit cutter or heart-shaped cookie cutter. Brush tops with sweet milk and bake at 425 for 12 min or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 scones, approx. 2 1/2" in diameter Recipe can be doubled.

Simply cut up about 8 fresh strawberries and work them into the dough prior to cutting in the final knead stage.

Also note:  This dough can be easily made in a kitchenaid mixer (my preferred method).  Simply add the butter first, then all the dry ingredients and mix with paddle mixer until it's cornmealish.  Add the buttermilk and mix on low until just combined.  Knead final together on a floured surface and follow as above for cutting.

Here is how they look prior to heading into the oven.  Baking time did not change.  425 degrees F for 11-12 minutes.



They taste delicious and have given me a little spring in my step today so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...