This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Warm and Comforting Fresh Berry Crisp

Rhubarb, Apple, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry Crumble/Crisp

apple rhubarb crisp 004

I was looking in the fridge and trying to decide what to make for a treat today. I raided my mother in law's garden on Saturday and cleared her rhubarb. She is here visiting with us for a month and I certainly didn't want to see all that lovely rhubarb go to waste. Originally I was going to make some strawberry/rhubarb jam but then saw all of these other ingredients kicking around my kitchen and decided to combine them all.

The result is a mouth-watering, comforting warm treat. One of those that makes you feel like your a little kid in grandma's kitchen type of recipes. I did my best to actually measure while I came up with this (sort of). I used fresh apples and rhubarb, and frozen blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries..I have a huge bag from Costco in the freezer all the time)

Ingredients:

Approximately 4 baking apples Peeled and cut into small cubes (I used Macintosh, but any good baking apple will do)

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed

1 cup blackberries

1 cup raspberries

1 1/2 cup rhubarb, cut into small cubes

1 cup blueberries

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

approx 1/4 cup white refined sugar

Topping

1 1/2 stick unsalted butter

1 1/2 cup plus approx 1/4th cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup crumbled pecans (coarse)

1/2 tsp salt (approx, I used a little less)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Combine all the fruit in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour and the dry ingredients. Combine well so all the fruit is coated. Pour into a prepared 9 x12 baking pan. (I use parchment paper to line the bottom).

For the topping: Cut the butter into small cubes and let it soften just a little. Add in the dry ingredients and cut with forks until well blended. You may need to add a little flour to achieve a coarse texture, and ensure the butter is well combined with the dry ingredients. I'll be honest. I use my fingers to mix it up properly...something to be said about doing it old school.

Spread the crumble over the fruit in the pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, increase temp to 375 degrees and bake for 10 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.

If you can stand the wait. Remove from oven and set to cool and set for approx 10 minutes. If you can't stand to wait (like my family),... it's just as yummy with the juices a little runny.

Serve with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream and enjoy this mildly tart but sweet combination of flavours.

apple rhubarb crisp 001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...