This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Yummy Spaghetti Sauce. Tomato/Meat/ Basil - Acid reduced

I love a good tomato meat sauce for pasta.  I'm not going to get into the whole debate of sauce vs gravy.  For this sauce I use fresh produce when available and the added carrot reduces the acid so my husband can enjoy it with his reflux issues.

This is a traditional meat sauce for pasta.  You can use this sauce on any kind of pasta be it gnocchi, spaghetti, rotini, rigatoni, ravioli...etc etc.

A staple in my home.   After a wonderful relaxing vacation I need some home cooking.  My mom made some excellent meals while we were visiting but too much junk food was consumed when we weren't at their house.  We had a 20 hour drive yesterday and today I craved carbs and comfort food. 

My sauce is very simple, with Molisana sausage added to give it some extra zip and flavour.

Two cloves of garlic, minced
Two small cans of tomato paste
Two 690 ml cans of simple tomato sauce
Two 796 ml cans of diced tomato
Two pounds of extra lean ground beef
Two pounds of lean ground veal
(one shredded carrot to reduce the acid)
Fresh basil to taste (usually about 10 fresh leaves chopped)
1 jar of Molisana Sausage cut into small bits

During the summer when we have access to fresh tomato from the garden I use those instead of canned.

This is a one pot recipe.  No need to clean extra right?  

Brown the meat with the garlic in a large saucepan.  Reduce heat ( I"ll do a post on meatballs later this week)
Once browned add the two cans of tomato paste and mix thoroughly on low heat.
Add the rest of the liquid ingredients, shredded carrot and basil.  Stir all together and add the sliced sausage.

Simmer on low stirring regularly for approx 3 hours until desired thickness has been reached.  Serve over your favorite pasta.

Tonight we are having Rotini, with a side of salad.  Yummmmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...