This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Beef Round over Noodles


This is an old standby comfort food type of dinner that my family loves. I had some stewing beef in the freezer and figured this would make an excellent dinner tonight.

This recipe is from an old cookbook I received as a teenager and cut my teeth in the kitchen using. It's called the Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, edited by Charlotte Turgeon. pg 68 (a well worn stain covered pg 68) I usually double this recipe for my large family.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. peanut or corn oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
2 teaspoon sherry (I use red wine, and use one tablespoons)
3 cups thinly sliced onions
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 pounds beef round cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I use stewing beef)
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
1 can mushrooms (optional...but highly recommmended)

Heat oil in a large skillet with 1 tsp soy sauce, sugar, and 1 teaspoon sherry (or tbsp as I do). Saute onions until soft.

Mix cornstarch, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 tsp sherry (or tablespoon again..my change) in a bowl. Dredge meat in mixture ensuring all pieces are coated. When onions are ready, add the meat to the skillet and brown. Add the worchestershire sauce and garlic, mix well and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the mushroom about half way through simmering. (juices removed from mushroom can)

Serve over large egg noodles. This recipe as it stands yields about 6 servings, but I usually make a little more and adjust the recipe accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...