This is the Horde. Below are our Recipes. Thanks for sharing our Kitchen

Monday, June 15, 2009

Creamy Key Lime Pie


One thing about traveling is you experience local flavours in cuisine. One of my favourite culinary taste sensations came from a trip to Florida where we tasted Key Lime Pie for the first time. A little diner called Nellie's in Springhill is where we found this gem.

My entire family loved key lime pie and after coconut cream pie adventure the other day my son and husband wanted me to try a key lime pie.

I surfed recipes online and settled on one that I think is the closest to what I was looking for. Thank you Kelly at Recipezaar for sharing this recipe. It's easy peasy to make and delicious. I added a little lime zest into the recipe as well and made it in a 10" springfoam pan. A regular pie pan would suffice as well.

Ingredients
6 egg yolks
2 cans condensed milk (I use Eagle Brand)
1 cup fresh squeezed key lime juice (or bottled, I used fresh and it was about 7 limes)
whipping cream (sweetened)
lime for garnish

Directions:
Gently whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add the two cans of condensed milk and continue whisking slowly to combine well.
Slowly add the lime juice, again, whisking slowly until thoroughly combined.
I used the low setting on my kitchenaid mixer to combine the above.

Prepare your shell using 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs with 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup sugar. As mentioned I used a springfoam pan, but you can use a premade graham pie shell from the grocer as well.

Once well combined (see picture below), place in a preheated oven of 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in the fridge for 4-6 hours and top with whipping cream.

It's tangy and sweet at the same time. The texture is fabulous and it's definitely a keeper here. Ridiculously easy to make.
Filling before baking
Key Lime Pie filling 002
This is the pie baked (excuse the fingermarks courtesy of our 7 year old)
Key lime baked 001
Now with whip cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...